Thursday, January 24, 2013

{Guess who's back....Back again?!?!?!}


Not Shady, ME!!  (Eminem, anyone??  No?  Ok!)  Yep...those 2 little words up there pretty much sum up the past couple...oh I don't know...4 months of my life.  Planning the holidays happened.  Shopping for the holidays happened.  Cooking for the holidays happened.  Cleaning up the holidays happened (Side note---I HATE cleaning up all the gifts, boxes, clothes, decorations etc.  Guess I am a post Christmas Scrooge.)  Work is out of control.  And to top it off I found out I have a thyroid problem and possible PCOS.  Life is GRAND!!

So I'll discuss a little bit about my thyroid problem.  Toward the end of summer I started to notice some definite signs of a thyroid problem.  I had this crazy rash on my inner thighs and down my legs.  I COULD NOT get relief.  I scratched my legs to the point of bruising.  This went on for months.  I also noticed my hair was falling out.  And not a normal amount...like globs.  And to top it off, no matter how hard I tried to control my diet and exercise, IT DIDN'T HELP!!!  The weight continued to pile on.  Effff!!!!  So I had some testing done at my office and guess what?!?!...NOTHING.  NADA.  NEGATIVE.  I mean, a few things were abnormal, but nothing significant enough for medication.  I was livid and confused.  There was no way all the signs were there but nothing to prove from blood work.  So, I came to the conclusion I was going to have to try harder.

About 2 months later I ran into another problem.  I was no longer having a cycle.  I About D.I.E.D!!  There was only one other time this happened...and I have a cute little princess to show for it.  I'm pretty sure I took close to 30 pregnancy tests and had blood drawn yet again.  Results = NOT PREGNANT.  Whew!!  So I took a trip to my GYN and explained what was going on.  I was switched to a higher dose estrogen birth control. I also requested a referral to an endocrinologist.  I was determined to find out what was wrong with me.

Fast forward one month.  I explain my problems to an endocrinologist.  She immediately wants to drawn a million vials of blood and proceeds to tell me she believes I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  Finally!  Someone is giving me some answers.  Once the blood work came back I was also told I have hypothyroidism.  I KNEW IT!!  (Just call me Lauren Nix, MD)  I was started on medication (which I am not sure is working) and sent along my merry way.

I am now a month a half into my medicine, going to the gym several times a week and guess what?...The weight ain't going nowhere.  And my hair is still falling out...

No...that is not a small animal :)
I am trying my best to cope with the awesomeness that is Hypothyroidism.  Getting older is such a task.  Can I just be 8 again??

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment