Tuesday, March 12, 2013

{Tasty Tuesday & Doctors Appt}

Good Tuesday Morning yall!!  Today was a little easier to roll out of bed.  I am still trying to get accustomed to the time change.  Even though I complain every morning {for at least the first week}, I absolutely LOVE coming out of the gym and the sun is actually still shining.  Sunshine makes me happy, happy, happy!!

Last week I had my appointment with my endocrinologist.  Not much has changed since my last visit, 3 months ago.  However, my TSH has gone down, so that is a plus.  My doctor did provide me with a referral for metabolic testing and a nutritionist visit.  I'm game for any help/advice/comment etc. anyone has at this point.  Bring it!  I will return in 3 months for more blood work and a visit.

Now, on to what Tuesday is all about...FOOD!!

I used to eat stuffed peppers when I was kid, and I loved them!  But as an adult, I haven't really tried my hand at making them.  I found a recipe on {Pinterest} a while back and decided to give them a whirl.  They were super yummy and even better...they were EASY.  That's a keeper in my book!

I adapted my recipe from {here}

Stuffed Peppers
1/2 C Quinoa {I served this on the side, not inside the peppers.  There would not have been room.}
3 large green bell peppers, bottom trimmed, seeds removed
1/2 large onion, diced
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil {who am I kidding, I eye ball that crap}
1 lb ground turkey
A couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp {or more if you like} Montreal steak seasoning {I like to "beef" up my turkey}
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Monterrey Jack Cheese {I also threw some cheddar in there}
1/2 cup water

Directions:
Cook Quinoa according to package directions.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Trim the bottom of the peppers so they will stand up while baking.  Place seeded peppers in a small dish, sprayed with non-stick spray.

In a small bowl, combine ground turkey, worcestershire, salt & pepper, and Montreal steak seasoning together.

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Saute garlic and diced onions for 3-4 minutes.  Add ground turkey to the skillet and brown.  Drain grease {if any} and return meat to the pan.  Stuff peppers with mixture.  Once peppers are ready to be put into the oven, I pour my 1/2 cup water on the bottom of the pan so my peppers don't burn.  Cook for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and add desired amount of cheese to the top.  Place back into the oven for 10 minutes so the cheese can melt nicely.

I served my peppers with Quinoa, plain greek yogurt {my sour cream replacement}, homemade salsa, and guacamole.  Yumm!
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Yum, sounds good! I will be trying this one for sure. Bought my first bag of quinoa last night, excited to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving quinoa. It really doesn't have a lot of taste so I recommend cooking it in chicken or beef stock to help give it a little flavor. The quinoa reminds me a little of grits, only a bit bigger.

      Delete
  2. Love stuffed peppers! This look delish. :)

    ReplyDelete